Skip to main content

Minutes 13th July 2021

TUESDAY 13th JULY 2021 AT 7:30pm

Present:  Cllr M Falder (Chairman), Cllr Meyrick, Cllr G Corner, Cllr S Betteridge-Sorby, Cllr K Kemp, Cllr Toone.

 In Attendance: Mrs J Storer – Clerk.

The Chair extended the council’s congratulations to Cllr Betteridge-Sorby on receiving an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

21/798 Apologies
Apologies were noted from Cllrs Bridges, Churchill, Haines and Muller.  As a quorum was established, the Chair commenced the meeting.

21/799 Variation of Order of Business
There was no alteration to the variation of the order of business.

21/800 Declaration of Interests:
Cllrs considered their obligations relating to declaration of interests; no declarations were received.

21/801 Public Speaking
a) Members of the Public and Council to comment on any matter
No matters were raised.

b) County Council and District Council members to raise any relevant matter
Cllr Haines’ report had previously been circulated to all Cllrs and attached as Appendix 1.
Cllrs voiced disappointment that no progress has been made with the planning application and appeal related to applications along Bretby Lane.  Continued concerns were expressed about the work arrangements at 12 Bretby Lane and about the lack of interest shown by SDDC to the concerns raised by the parish council. The lack of communication from SDDC and DCC on this and other matters is extremely poor.
The lack of mowing at the top of Newton Lane and Knights Lane is creating a danger to motorists; the lack of mowing and the height of the grass obscures visibility.  The Clerk will send a letter of complaint to SDDC.
No County Cllr was in attendance and no report was provided.

c) Parish Council Members declaring an interest other than Disclosable Pecuniary Interest wishing to make representation
No representations were made.

21/802 To approve the Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Parish Council held on 11th May 2021
These were circulated, read, approved and signed as a correct record by Cllr Falder subject to an amendment on Min 21/794 which should read 10 and 14 Bretby Lane not 10 and 19 Bretby Lane.

21/803 To approve the Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 11th May 2021
These were circulated, read, approved and signed as a correct record by Cllr Falder.

21/804 To determine which items if any, should be taken with the public excluded.
No items were deemed necessary to be taken with the public excluded.

21/805 To receive the Chairman’s Announcements
No announcements were made.

21/806 To receive the Report of the Clerk
The Clerk’s report as previously circulated was accepted with no further comments. 

Cllr Betteridge-Sorby reported on the meeting with a landowner who previously had expressed concern about dog fouling and anti social behaviour on his land (Min 21/796e). There is no bin facility along Bretby Lane. 
RESOLVED to install a large litter bin on Bretby Lane next to the parish council noticeboard.
The Clerk will approach Winshill parish council with a request to move the bin from Moat Bank to the entrance of Mimi’s Wood provided ESBC are willing to collect the waste.

The drain cover on Ashby Road East has been repaired (Min 20/755b).

No communication has been received from Crest since the last meeting (Min 21/796d)

No updates have been received bout the unauthorised signs on Oldicote Lane (Min 20.755b)

There have been expressions of interest and support for a parish event to commemorate the Platinum Jubilee next year.   Notices will be placed on Facebook by Cllrs Betteridge-Sorby and Kemp to invite and to gauge initial interest, to seek volunteers and to set an initial community meeting.  This will be a community led event, not a parish council event.

21/807 Governance

a)   Risk Register update
There are no recommended changes to the risk register.
RESOLVED to make no changes to the risk register.

b)  General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
The Clerk reported that there is no further information, no actions were recommended and there were no incidents to report.

c) Communication Strategy
The matter was deferred.

d)  Arrangements for return to face to face meeting
The Clerk as instructed wrote to the Government to urge that hybrid meetings are permitted (Min 21/790).  Some letters have been acknowledged but currently the Government have no plans to introduce hybrid meetings.

21/808 Drainage issues
No further matters were raised.

21/809 Correspondence

  1. DALC – Various circulars and information about Covid19 and 2021 census
  2. Heather Wheeler MP – acknowledging receipt of letter sent requesting review of the law to hold remote parish council meetings
  3. SDDC – Contact details for residents
  4. SDDC – Cancellation of the Area Forums until the Autumn
  5. National Forest – Amendment to planting scheme at Brizlincote Hall (deadline for response 24th July 2021)
    The Chairman explained the proposal and aims of the scheme which has been circulated to all parish cllrs.  The parish council expressed a keenness to try to get some community involvement for tree planting at Brizlincote Hall.  The Chairman will seek clarification about is available and what involvement can be given by the parish council and the community.  If the Jubilee Working Party can be established, this maybe a group that could be involved with the project.

All Cllrs have been circulated with the information prior to the meeting.

21/810 Finance

BACSHMRC – Staffing NI & PAYE (May)£36.60
BACSDCC – Pension contribution (May)£44.39
BACSHMRC – Staffing NI & PAYE (June)£36.60
BACSDCC – Pension contribution (June)£44.39
BACSStaffing – May£136.00
BACSStaffing – June£136.20
Accounts passed for payment

BACSStaffing – July£136.20
BACSHMRC – Staffing NI & PAYE (July)£36.40
BACSDCC – Pension contribution (July)£44.39
For approval

Money Received

SDDCS136 refund£97.93

Balance at bank 30.06.21

Deposit account£3,011.19
Current account£4,834.84

b)  Requests for funding via S137
No requests for funding have been received.

c)  To receive the actual to budget report for the period ending 30th June 2021
The actual to budget report for the period ending 30.06.21 was previously circulated to all Cllrs.
RESOLVED to accept the report for the period ending 30th June 2021.

21/811 To consider Planning Applications

DMPA/2021/0831: The conversion of existing double garage into annex and the erection of summerhouse at Field View Cottage, Unnamed Road From Geary Lane To Town Farm, Bretby, Burton On Trent, DE15 0RD (16/07/21)
RESOLVED: No objections

21/812 Consultations
Local Information Requirements for the Validation of Planning Applications – Draft For Consultation (deadline 7th July 2021)
No comments were made.

21/813 Items for information only

(a)  To receive reports from Meetings attended
No meetings have been attended

(b)  Notification of Forthcoming meetings
None known

(c)  Training Sessions – See DALC circulars which have been provided to all Cllrs
Training continues to be provided remotely via Zoom.  

21/814 Date of next meeting
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on TUESDAY 14th SEPTEMBER 2021 at 7.30pm at St Wystan’s Church, Bretby.

There being no further business, the Chairman thanked everyone for attending, wished everyone to be well and safe and closed the meeting at 8:41pm.


District Council report for Bretby Parish Council meeting on Tuesday 13 July 

Foremarke Reservoir 
Over the weekend of 12 June there were serious parking problems at Foremark Reservoir due to high volumes of visiting members of the public with extensive parking on yellow lines and on overgrown grass verges. 28 fixed penalty notices were issued, and the road closed to prevent any other people attending. 

There were similar issues in summer 2020 after the first lockdown and several measures were put in place. These included adding double yellow lines outside the site, additional police patrols, additional car parking at the site and leaving the grass verges to grow so making them less appealing to park on. 

There have been relatively few problems at the site since these measures were put in place and Severn Trent, the police, SDDC Community Safety Enforcement Officers and DCC Civil Enforcement Parking Officers regularly communicate with each other and are making sure patrols are put in place when the weather is going to be hot.

Reopening after Covid
The local hospitality industry continues to cautiously reopen. There have been no significant anti-social behaviour issues or Covid breaches at licensed premises during recent Euro 2020 events. Just across the border in Donington Park, a smaller than normal Download festival was part of the government’s trials to enable large outdoor events to reopen safely. The Sausage and Cider festival, due to be held in June at Catton Park, was a casualty of the pandemic and had to be cancelled.

Night Flight Policy Consultation

The Government is consulting on the night flights policy – link below:
The closing date for the consultation is 3 September.  SDDC will put together a response to the consultation which will come to the Environmental committee in August for approval.

Planning application @ 12 Bretby Lane – DMPA/2021/0561
We are still waiting for a decision to come through on this application. The case officer is away until Monday so would expect some clarification this week and will update as soon as we hear anything.

Planning appeal @ Land at Rear of 101-119 Bretby Lane – DMPA/2019/1430
No decision from the Inspectorate to date. The case officer is going to try and contact the Inspectorate directly to see if we can get some more information.

Shades Farm
We have been contacted by residents who remain concerned about the new biomass boiler and ongoing planning applications at Shades Farm. We continue to reassure residents that the correct planning process is being followed and that the planning system does allow for retrospective applications to regularise any unauthorised development. We will continue to monitor things on a case-by-case basis and are happy to speak to any residents who may have concerns.

Area Forum Meetings
The next round of Area Forum meetings will take place in the Autumn and Chris Smith from SDDC should be in touch shortly with Parish Councils to confirm details.

Actions from your meeting on Tuesday
Apologies we are unable to attend Tuesday’s meeting. Please let us know if anything crops up that requires action!

Best wishes
Kerry and Andrew