Skip to main content

Minutes 25th January

MONDAY 25th JANUARY 2021 AT 7:30pm
Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020.

Present:  Cllr M Falder (Chairman), Cllr Toone, Cllr Meyrick, Cllr G Corner, Cllr S Betteridge-Sorby, Cllr K Kemp, Cllr Bridges

 In Attendance: Mrs J Storer – Clerk, Cllr Haines (to 8:20pm), Cllr Chilton (to 8:20pm), Cllr Churchill (to 8:20pm)

20/736 Apologies
No apologies were accepted as all were present.  As a quorum was established, the Chairman commenced and welcomed everyone to the meeting.

20/737 Variation of Order of Business
There was no alteration to the variation of the order of business.

20/738 Declaration of Interests:
Cllrs considered their obligations relating to declaration of interests; no declarations were received.

20/739 Public Speaking
a) Members of the Public and Council to comment on any matter
No matters were raised.

b) County Council and District Council members to raise any relevant matter
Cllr Chilton reported that no further updates have been received relating to the condition of the Bretby Lane verge following works undertaken by Cadent; the promised meeting that would take place with DCC and the affected resident is still to be arranged. Dissatisfaction was expressed about the lack of communication from DCC with the resident.  Cllr Chilton agreed that the lack of communication was unacceptable; Cllrs also made comments on the road having sunk since the works have been completed. Cllr Chilton agreed to take the matter back to DCC as a matter of urgency.  

Disappointment was expressed about the lack of and lateness of gritting around the parish over the last two days when there was significant snowfall. The parish council owned grit bin at Watery Lane is filled occasionally from a store of grit kept at the Chairman’s property.  The second grit bin owned by the parish council is still located at the Chairman’s property and will continue to do so until an acceptable location can be found. Cllr Betteridge- Sorby raised the problems of lack of gritting on Midway Road, and asked that this is classed as a priority road whilst the vaccinations are taking place.

Funding is available from DCC relating to flooding, this information will be passed to the Clerk and the District cllrs.  There are not many properties in the parish that flood, flooding is not happening as badly on Bretby Lane as has been the case in previous years, possibly this is due to the recent planting of trees which appears to have helped to ease some of the flooding matters.

Cllr Chilton was requested to take the following matters to DCC: –
One drain outlet at Bretby Lane is blocked causing the water to back up and flood the lane; this matter goes back to 2019.
On Knights Lane a drain under the lane between Hill Farm and Newton Lane is blocked and floods the lane; it too requires clearing out; this matter is a highways safety issue as the standing water causes problems for traffic particularly if the water freezes.
A grid cover on Ashby Road East rattles when traffic goes over it, the matter has been on the repair list for a significant number of months.

Sub contractors have been seen repairing potholes yesterday and today in the snow.

Cllr Haynes reported that the snow over the weekend has meant no bin collections have taken place; SDDC will endeavour to catch up over the weekend.

Cllr Churchill reported that vaccinations at Oaklands are going well, as have the lateral flow testing centres in Swadlincote. 

Newton Lane is not flooding as in previous years and the recent engineering works appear to be working well; the quality of work was congratulated.

SDDC has confirmed that the verge at Watery Lane will not be cut as per the request of a resident; this request was made to protect the banks of the stream but confirmation on the new arrangement is still awaited from DCC – Cllr Chilton will follow this matter.

The street cleaning team have been seen in the parish, some local residents are using their daily exercise/walk to collect rubbish and the local volunteers collecting litter were congratulated.

Cllr Kemp informed that some residents have expressed a desire to carry out a community litter pick, Cllr Haynes will provide details of how to obtain the necessary equipment for this community activity to happen.

An update was requested on the appeal for the property development at Bretby Lane as it appears that the appeal was lodged after the time scales listed by SDDC in April 2020.

8:20pm Cllr Churchill, Cllr Chilton and Cllr Haynes left the meeting.

c) Parish Council Members declaring an interest other than Disclosable Pecuniary Interest wishing to make representation
No representations were made.

20/740   To confirm the Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 23rd November 2020
These were circulated, read, approved and signed as a correct record by Cllr Falder.

20/741 To determine which items if any, should be taken with the public excluded.
No items were deemed necessary to be taken with the public excluded.

20/742 To receive the Chairman’s Announcements
A lorry repeatedly cuts the corner of Bretby Lane and Newton Lane, causing some damage to the newly widened junction.
A wicket gate has been installed near to Bretby Castle, it was established that bee hives are now at this location.
The Church held a socially distance carol concert on Christmas Eve.
The dog bin at the Hall is not large enough to cope with the increase in volume created with increased walking during the covid era/lockdown.

RESOLVED The Clerk was given authority to place an order to buy and install a bin.
The Clerk was requested to make enquiries as to whether the Bretby Hall management company would make any financial contributions.

20/743 To receive the Report of the Clerk
The Clerk’s report as previously circulated was accepted with no further comments. 

20/744 Governance
a) Risk Register update
There are no recommended changes to the risk register.
RESOLVED to make no changes to the risk register.

b)  General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
The Clerk reported that there is no further information, no actions were recommended and there were no incidents to report.

c)  To appoint Mr B Wood as the internal auditor for the years ending 31st March 2021 and 31st March 2022
Mr B Wood has undertaken the internal audit of the parish council’s accounts for several years and as a former DALC Chief Officer, he understands the parish council sector.
RESOLVED for Mr B Wood to be the internal auditor for the financial years 2020/21 and 2021/22.

d) Communication Strategy
The Bretby Facebook page is now receiving daily comments. Cllrs Kemp and Betteridge-Storby have previously discussed how to increase the profile of the Facebook page, including highlighting the community litter pick and once interaction takes place, to establish a social committee and to increase the possibility of organising large events such as Bretby in Bloom.  Details of the Bretby Facebook page will be included in the Church newsletter.      Communication about the Bretby Facebook page was offer to be undertaken by the Neighbourhood Watch.

20/745 Drainage issues
No further matters were raised, drainage was discussed earlier in the meeting.

20/746 Correspondence

  1. DALC – Various circulars and information about Covid19 and 2021 census
  2. SDDC – Advice on flooding in communities
  3. Information on the 2021 census
  4. SDDC – Information on the personnel changes at Swadlincote police station
  5. DCC – Briefing from Cllr Chilton about community testing for Covid and new shopappy (email 13.12.20)
  6. Census – further updates
  7. DALC – Community Business Guide
  8. SDDC – Notification of Area Forum meeting via TEAMS on 19th January 2021
  9. Resident – request for additional bin at Bretby Hall
    The Clerk has asked SDDC for costings relating to an additional bin.
    All Cllrs have been circulated with the information prior to the meeting.

20/747 Finance

BACSHMRC – Staffing NI & PAYE (Dec)£36.60
BACSDCC – Pension contribution (Dec)£44.39
BACSHMRC – Staffing NI & PAYE (Jan)£36.60
BACSDCC – Pension contribution (Jan)£44.39
BACSStaffing – December£136.00
BACSStaffing – January£136.00
Accounts passed for payment
BACSMrs J Storer – use of home (Jan – March 21)£81.00 – defer to next meeting
BACSMrs J Storer – expenses£carried forward to next meeting due to the low level of expenses
KrystalWebsite hosting£9.59
For approval

Money Received

Interest Dec£0.02
Interest Jan£0.03

Balance at bank 18.01.21

Deposit account£3011.07
Current account£4009.06

b) Requests for funding via S137
No requests for funding have been received.

c) To set the precept for the financial year 2021/22 
The Clerk had circulated with the meeting papers, the draft budget and precept for the financial year 2021/22, the budget was discussed having regard to the current economic situation and to the pandemic.
RESOLVED to set the precept for the financial year 2021/22 at £3,658, this being a 2% increase.

20/748 To consider Planning Applications
DMPN/2020/1270 – Prior notification for the erection of a steel portal frame building for the storage of agricultural machinery, implements and fodder at Brizlincote Lane, Burton on Trent DE15 0PR (22/12/20) – Already granted.

Planning appeal
DMPA/2019/1430:Outline application (matters of access to be considered now with matters of layout, scale, appearance and landscaping reserved for later consideration) for six wholly affordable starter homes with access and associated works on Land at Sk2823 3536 (rear of 101-119) Bretby Lane, Bretby, DE15 0QP
Appellant: Mr & Mrs Brian & Jean Mears
Appeal Ref. No: APP/F1040/W/20/3258632
Appeal Starting Date: 25/11/2020

20/749 Consultations
No consultations have been received.

20/750 Items for information only
(a) To receive reports from Meetings attended
Area Forum – 19th January 2021 – no report was received,

(b) Notification of Forthcoming meetings
None known

(c)  Training Sessions – See DALC circulars which have been provided to all Cllrs
Training is being provided remotely via Zoom.  No training sessions have been attended.

(d) A resident at Bretby Hall has expressed a desire to join the parish council.  There are no vacancies at present, however the Clerk will make contact with the person to invite him to attend future parish council meetings.

20/751 Date of next meeting
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on MONDAY 22nd MARCH 2021 at 7.30pm; this will be a remote meeting unless there are significant changes to regulations.

There being no further business, the Chairman thanked everyone for attending, wished everyone to be well and safe and closed the meeting at 9:05pm.